Saturday 23 January 2016

Thnks for the Mmrs

In the past two days, I have seen so many photos of people walking the stage wearing black graduation robes, that I stopped wearing black myself.

Just kidding.

Despite the fact that I am happy here, all these images do make me slightly sad that I did not get to walk the stage and “officially” graduate, so to speak.

My senior year in undergraduate (or final year B.E , for Indian folks) was a slightly dramatic year. It included stressful mornings and tearful nights. It came to the point where I felt that my undergrad was a book which had been read once, never to be opened again.

That is not how I want to live my life, though. I did have some brilliant memories, shaded by bittersweet emotions when I see them now. I thought I would go on a small walk down memory lane, with eight somewhat significant incidents, for eight semesters of my life!

  §  The time where I experimented with embedded systems


This was during the end of my first semester. IIT Bombay had a workshop going on, and Savio convinced me that I should join him and his friend to make an r-Hex robot. It was a new experience for me, and I still remember leaving the house at six am so I could go meet them and travel to the University together.

Side note: This is also one of my most favorite pictures with Savio. Much innocent, such cuteness.

  §  The time where I just let loose


I do not remember what course this was for, but I remember we had to give a presentation. This was the first time I had to wear formal clothes to college, and my friends and I were in the phase of “DOCUMENTING EVERYTHING”. I took that as an excuse to climb on the bench and start dancing to music, because *inspired look* every moment is a moment for dancing.

  §  The time where I went to Bandstand


Everyone in Mumbai knows Bandstand as that place where all college students go, where all budding couples make out secretly under dupattas, and where photos need to be taken.

My friend Chirag had come back to Mumbai after three years. It made a perfect occasion to go to Bandstand with drizzling rain washing out the streets beautifully. This was also an excuse to take clichéd photos of our feet which was actually my cover photo on Facebook for quite a while. (I regret everything)

  §   The time where I traveled without my parents


The term IV makes every college student ever burst into laughter. It is never an actual industrial visit, but just the guise of one to go travel to different cities. Somehow, I had convinced my parents to let me go to Goa with my college friends.

It was a whole night’s journey, with a bonus running montage towards the train we needed to catch. 

The train stopped for a bit around sunrise, and I was able to take this beautiful picture.

  §  The time I started my own tradition


23 April is not significant to many people (unless it’s your birthday, in which case, Happy Birthday). However, to Whovians, the 23rd of April is the Silence Day or Tally Mark Day. I still remember the first time in 2013, where I drew about fifteen tally marks on both of my hands and wore a jacket so my parents would not ask me why I was leaving with Sharpie marks on my arms.

I have always gone to a coffee shop on this day, baring the tally marks, doing my own thing, trying to find other crazy people. 

  §  The time I wore a sari in the rains (not like in Bollywood)


Ah, the last year of college. Where everyone get suddenly nostalgic, every month is the “last month you will ever spend at *insert college name here*”, and all the events suddenly become mandatory.

I decided to participate in this particular human tradition of nostalgia and decided to wear a sari for sari day. And attend lectures. After the bottom of my sari got wet due to the ankle length water level outside my building. After my heels broke because of the water (WHY DID I WEAR HEELS WHEN RAIN). Despite all that, I think I look cute.

  §  The time I went to prom


My college always had Prom and DJ night during the same evening, where couples danced during prom night, then the masses gathered in to dance to crazy beats. I always attended the latter, but never the former. This time though, I went as a rite of passage and I took one of my favorite guys with me.

  §  The time I got an admit to University



I still remember that night. I had taken a break from studying for my last final. I was eating dinner with my parents and going through my phone when I got a notification saying I had a new email message. I opened it, and this was the sight that faced me.

I remember ugly crying, hugging my parents, trying to reach my sister so I could tell her I was going to the States along with her, getting ready for the next part of my life.

Other momentary occasions with no images:
  §  The time I completed a robotics certification for a KUKA Hexapod Robot but never received the actual certificate
  §  The time I received government funding for my final year project
  §  So much binge watching
  §  All the sleepovers

Tl;dr: 2011 to 2015 was not that bad as I make it out to be to myself. With so much photographic evidence, I can now prove myself wrong.


Leaving you with this song, because the song is catchy, and also this article is a 1000 word version of the chorus.

No comments:

Post a Comment