Saturday 16 July 2016

If crazy equals genius, I'm a rocket scientist


Today feels like a very normal day. I got up late, had breakfast and entered my lab so I could start working. But everything feels so different, because my usual study playlist will now remind me of last night and all the amazement that came along with it.

After the longest time I got to see Panic! at the Disco, live, last night. When I say the longest time, I am not kidding.



Yep, I had bought the ticket way back in February, when I was not even sure if I was going to be in Dallas in July. There were potential friends who couldn’t come along, there was a chance I couldn’t have gone, but somehow everything worked out in my favor.


I was slightly concerned about going alone to a concert, since I have never done that before. However, it didn’t matter. It didn’t matter at all. I had thousands of people around me, screaming out the lyrics the same as I was, clapping along at the same time, shining their flashlights during slow songs. It was ethereal.

I had gotten a lawn ticket, which meant I was chilling in the sun more so than stuffed like sardines in a can. The concert was opened by Andrew McMahon, who I will admit, I did not look into much. He turned out to be a really great singer and I actually saved some of his songs on Spotify. If you want to take a look at him, Synesthesia is a really pretty song and sounds great. 

We had to wait for a bit before the next artist, and I was not sure if it would be Weezer or Panic. To be honest, I should have realized it’d be Panic, since Weezer was a much older band, and so would close.

At 8 pm, the curtains opened to a car on the screen driving to the sounds of Pump it by Black Eyed Peas. I was so sure this was the same car from the DOAB album art, but I still held my breath. As Brendon, Kenneth, Dallon and Dan walked on stage, everyone on the lawn who were sitting or lying down, stood up to their feet and started screaming.

I have seen so many live shows of Panic on Youtube, but seeing them live is another thing altogether. One thing I must say, is that the cameramen who were playing it on the bigger screens were smart people. They caught Brendon while he was dancing excitedly, took shots when Kenneth leaned against the guy playing the trumpet, and had gratuitous slow shots from Brendon’s waist till up once he was shirtless. Everyone pretty much screamed at that

One thing which I was looking forward to was his small speech before Girls/Girls/Boys, and he gave a beautiful one. I have a video of it, but I’ll paraphrase it:

It doesn’t matter if you’re lesbian, gay, bi, pan or any others. We all need to realize that we’re all one and the same. If someone doesn’t believe that, you say, “Oh well, f*** you!”

Also, you know you’re a crazy fan when he barely starts describing why he wrote the song and you know which one it is. They started playing Miss Jackson and I knew what was coming at the end.

(For those of you who don’t, there’s a part in the song where everything pauses for about seven seconds, and then Brendon does a backflip. The Reading Festival 2015 caught only the last part of it and I was so salty when I saw it on Youtube.) I managed to record it… here:


There was a part in the middle where Brendon and Dan had a drum-off. I really wanted to take a video of it, but I decided to actually appreciate the beats instead and it was absolutely gorgeous. I tend to forget how many instruments Brendon plays till I remembered that he recorded almost all the music, background tracks and instruments for the DOAB album.

He gave a short speech for Spencer Smith before going into “This is Gospel”, and had a funny story about how he stole his sister’s cassette tape back in the day, which was a Weezer tape, and now he was co-headlining with Weezer.

They ended their show with “Victorious”, and I was just overwhelmed by all the feelings. I could not believe this had actually happened. I then relaxed on the grass for Weezer, since (don’t kill me), I appreciate their songs, but I don’t particularly listen to them. The crowd went wild and I sang along as I texted a few people.

As the concert ended, with a lot of walking, sharing of locations, and multiple calls, my friends Utsav and Seethal (I love you guys!) had come to pick me up. The traffic meant that it took longer to get home, but we made up for it by playing Hindi songs from the sixties. 

In the end, I came home, happy, sated, exuberant, exhilarated and all the other synonyms you can use that would match my mood. For my first concert in the States, this was the best thing ever.

Leaving you with the song which is playing right now as I write this blog:


No comments:

Post a Comment